Sunday, January 23, 2011

Week 3: Oral/aural Skills

Week 3: Oral/aural Skills

Another very hectic week for me, having to do three readings, start a delicious page and add favorite web pages on it, visit the websites suggested by Robert on teaching speaking and listening, and participate in the discussion on these websites and oral/aural skills readings.

I found the discussion on the oral/aural skills websites very useful as I came to know about many websites that offer free resources on these two skills. I added, most of, if not all, these websites to my delicious page. I still hope that we will have a comprehensive list of these website on the Wiki Robert created for this purpose. This is an invaluable gain this week no doubt as this list will form a storehouse for me whenever I need to get some teaching materials and to recommend to my students for further practice, interaction, and self-study.

From the discussion sub-threads, I cam to know about many more websites and resources and I learnt about podcasts.

In a nutshell I came to know about the various ways in which the computer and the internet that can be incorporated into language teaching. The question I mentioned in one of my posts remains how can I make the best out of these available resources in my highly restricted environment. Change can be made and being aware of the possible alternatives is the first step towards effecting this change. With more thinking and hard work, I am sure these things can be optimally used in my teaching-learning situation.

I also visited Leena's blog and Aveka, read their reflections and left a comment for them.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Abed,
    Just like you, I also believe that computer and internet technologies can offer a panacea for my teaching context as well. For the time being, I am discovering alternatives and trying to find the best as you have said. For my own students, I am considering the use of Course Management Systems. In my previous blog post, Robert has suggested Nicenet. I am thinking on it but it seems that I need to use a more comprehensive one. I would like to ask you if you have used any CMS (Blackboard/WebCT or Moodle)before. I am especially interested in Moodle. I really appreciate your ideas.
    And Abed thank you for your help with the "edit" button for the Nicenet threads. I did not understand why I did not see that button last night!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This course really is keeping us busy but I'm sure all of us are enjoying the things that we are learning. Having these shared "databanks" will certainly come in handy in the future when planning for courses.
    We are getting so much new information at a fast pace that we'll probably need some time to see what is relevant to us. But like you said, the first step is knowing what's out there. I wonder what Robert has in store for us this week...

    ReplyDelete