Sunday, January 30, 2011

Week 4: Reading / Writing

Another hectic week! Honestly I did not expect online courses to be this hectic. Anyways, this week the focus of discussion has been on the reading and writing skills and the use of technology in teaching them. We had a discussion based on reading materials on the use of technology in teaching these two skills, wrote a technology-enhanced lesson plan, and were asked to think about issues and concerns that face the integration of technology into our teaching.

The materials were very useful in suggesting some practical tips on how to use technology in teaching reading and writing. There was also reference to online resources and other reading materials on the issue.

Robert made excellent comments on the lesson plans we posted and this made those lesson plans much better.

Many colleagues mentioned other websites on reading and writing, in addition to those suggested by Robert in the beginning of the week.

Overall, we seem to share the same problems, concerns, and situations in English language teaching across the world, although some degree of variation also exists.

Thus, I learned this week how to write a technology-enhanced lesson plan and came to know about many websites to which I can refer for materials and resources especially on reading, vocabulary, and writing. Like in the other previous three weeks, the sharing of ideas and experiences has been invaluable for me, and I am sure for the others, too. Reading and commenting on Faisal's blog was one of the things I did this week.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Abed ,
    I really feel your words when you said you hadn't expected online courses to be that hectic . I had taken few online courses before but I have never been so overwhelmed .In my case , I have been engaged in some face to face activities ( a national middle schhol conference where I conducted a workshop last Tuesday ) Moreover , this week was my turn to moderate BAW2011 ( Becoming a Webhead ) week 3 , a group of EVO ( English Village Online ) a CALL group of TESOL .The topic of this week was sychronous and asynchronous communication online tools and I had to respond to hundreds emails I get daily asking for help just asking for information . I really had a difficult week !

    Best Wishes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Abed,
    I agree with you. We all have our jobs and families to keep us busy and this course is really demanding.
    On the other hand, we've all managed to catch up with the pace of the course and i believe that when all this is over we'll miss it a lot.

    Moreover, we benefit alot while sharing info with all of our peers and reading Robert's up to the point comments. It'nice to learn about sites others have successsfully used before or reading only important articles that can really help us, skipping irrelevant and confusing information. It's time and energy saving.

    We will survive,
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Adeb,

    Yes you're right, the technology-enhanced lesson plan is a piece of cake. Although it was difficult for me at the beginning, but I guess I can handle it from now on.. the first step is always the hardest.

    I never imagined there would be such a detailed lesson plan. It covers everything very neatly and concretely. I can guarantee, if any teacher applies this plan to his lesson he would get amazing results. It’s all about good preparation..

    ReplyDelete